Security threats come from everywhere–all over the globe, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, banging on ‘cyber-doors’ incessantly. Detecting those threats before they cause damage is paramount to our success as an organization. From the enterprise and security viewpoints, threat detection takes many forms, and requires some reasonable technical skills and management. Here are a few examples from the more technical side:
1. Endpoint detection and response (EDR) monitors detailed endpoint (PC, Tablet, Phone, etc.) behavior, such as internal processes, registry settings, file activity, and network activity.
2. Network traffic analysis (NTA) monitors network traffic, looking for anomalous, suspicious, and malicious activity.
3. Cyber threat intelligence (CTI) looks at internal security incidents and cyber adversary tactics, techniques, and procedures.
These tools help organizations detect threats and neutralize them. But not all threat detection requires technical skills.
In fact, the best form of threat detection is you, the human firewall. The human firewall uses non-technical skills to:
- Spot and prevent physical threats such as a secured door left ajar, or an unknown person accessing secured areas.
- Identify phishing attacks and other forms of social engineering.
- Report all security incidents immediately, thereby reducing their impact.
- Guard possessions and use caution when working remotely or traveling.
- Follow policy no matter what.
In short, human firewalls are the ultimate threat detectors. You know how to scan your environment to notice odd things and behavior. You detect social engineering attempts and other potentially hostile threats. You never make assumptions and always think before you click. These simple awareness behaviors on your part improve our culture and help protect our organization from the many threats we face every day.
KnowBe4 is the world’s most largest and popular integrated Security Awareness Training combined with Simulated Phishing attack platform, utilizing social engineering methods and strategies to conduct training. Founded in 2010, a US company located in Tama Bay, Florida with over 19,000 customers base across different sectors globally. Managing by CEO & employees of ex-antivirus experts and IT security Pros. KnowBe4 has been a winner of two consecutives Inc. 500 awards.